A dragon's spirit, and his curse: A creative piece

 Hey Tolkien lovers. As a follow up to one of my last posts about Tolkien's dragons, I decided to hop on here and be a bit more creative. Now, I'm no artist...and certainly no poet but I decided to draw and write these two small pieces The first is a drawing, reflect the dragon spirit that lay within every soldier, and fueled the deadliness and vigor of the war. The second is well...I don't want to call it a poem. Its more of a stream-of-consciousness dialogue of a dragon. I just wanted to give the beast a chance to reflect on where it came from. Hope you guys like it...and don't roast me too hard here please. I did try to make it somewhat artistic. 




A Dragon’s Curse

The following is the final words of a dragon, alluring yet malicious. Take care to not fall under his spell, but heed his warning wisely.

I am slain, but not ended. My powers reach far beyond the sword of a single man. Your brothers birthed me, and you empowered me with your spirit. Any yet you try to bring me down. Cannot you see that I am you? My wings formed from your voices, and my fire burning with your cries and chants, my armor hardened by your own numbers.

You cannot befall me. Your attempts to end me will only bring you down. I am given strength when you work together to defeat me. And when one decides to stray, they are forever cursed, even if they prove the victor against me.

I kill. I kill when I want. And torture when I don’t feel like killing. My victims come to me, and my targets give no chase.

Nations, states, lands, guilds, and kingdoms. They all have their dragons. I am but what men want. I am what they seek. And yet they set out to destroy me. But only one, never many. There is never an army to slay a dragon. Me or my father or my father’s father. It is an army that feeds a dragon, and a rebel that slays it. You carry a great burden with your sword. You and your brethren do not want me to die. You want to forget that I am here, but you still seek what led me to you. Whether I am slain here or not, nothing will change.

What lives inside of me lives in all men. It is in fact the most man-like parts of my soul that my opponents always fear the most. My birth comes at a time of great strength. Men come together with high spirits and strong arms. I am but a reflection of your belief, and yet you dismay my being. Cursed are the minds of men.

So alas, your sword gleams through by breast. My final breath is coming. But be warned. You may be celebrated now. But remember, when you brethren become strangers, and your country becomes baren land. I am what forms you and your great battalions. Some may despise my power, but still my power maintains its hold. You will forever be cursed or disowned by your fellows. As the ender of your people’s greatness. The slayer of a dragon, yes. But the slayer of men’s spirits forever.


- M. Harris


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ents, Elves, and Eriadors: The Environmental Vision of J. R. R. Tolkien by Matthew Dickerson and Jonathan Evans

The Revelation of the River Daughter

A Real Dragon: Tolkien’s commentary within the malicious hearts of his beasts